Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Heavy Lifting!

Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.
---Arnold Schwarzenegger

Yesterday marked my first Power Day of the off season.  William and I actually trained together, and I found myself pushing past discomfort and muscle fatigue...and enjoying it!  If you'd asked me ten years ago if I'd be doing any sort of Olympic lifting, I would have laughed and continued my climbing on the stairmill.  Yesterday's work out included a little of everything---close grip pulldowns, single arm rows with a dumbbell (I love having to weight for heavy weights....shocks people!), rack deadlifts (185...not bad for the first week), incline dumbbell press (personal goal---using 60-65 lb dumbbells by my birthday!)---as well as some shoulder presses, barbell curls, and tricep pressdowns.  Needless to say, my muscles felt super full and this morning...let's just say I felt every repetition of last night's workout!


Like Arnold said above, to be successful one must dedicate one's self 100% to your training, diet, and mental approach.  I've never struggled with the 100% dedication to training and diet, but have found myself in the last few months struggling with my mental approach.  Last night was the first time I've truly enjoyed a workout in months, and that makes me both happy and sad!  I didn't dread walking up the stairs to the weight room, or cry in the middle of a set.  I think being able to enjoy the process this time around is going to bring so much more joy to my workouts!  I need to keep reminding myself that taking care of myself doesn't just mean the quality of the food and drink I put into my body, or the type and duration of workouts I do....it's not beating myself up mentally if I'm struggling.

I came across this recipe that I can't wait to try!  It'll remind me of Washington in the fall, and more specifically, Greenbluff....courtesy of cleaneatingonline.com:

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Ingredients:
1/4 c. skim milk                                       
6 Tbsp. water
1/4 c. old-fashioned oats
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/8 c. canned pumpkin
1/8 c. sliced almonds
1/8 c. water
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
Preparation:
In a small saucepan, bring milk and water to a boil over medium heat. Add oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once the liquid is absorbed, stir in pumpkin and almonds. Set aside.
Combine water and protein powder in a separate bowl. Mix with a fork until protein powder is absorbed. Pour protein mixture over oatmeal. Makes 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment