Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seriously. Why?

I've been asking myself, a lot, why bad things happen to good people. For real. I know that Harold Kushner, an American Rabbi, wrote the book on it following the death of his son (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Kushner) and I know that while it may not have all the answers, at least it might have some suggestions. But...I still struggle. And it's like Siobhan, my cousin, and I were discussing the other night---God can handle us being pissed off at him. I think Father Van would have to agree. And it's also like I said the other night...I think that's one of the reasons why I started going back to church. I've made big mistakes---huge, life-altering mistakes---and little ones, but God keeps forgiving me. I know I should take comfort in that fact, but....I struggle. Big time. Especially....cancer. First my mom. Then Mindi's little boy, Gregory. And now...

My younger cousin, Bret, is going to have surgery today. Bret is one of the most amazing guys I know. He's brilliant. Funny. Gifted. Talented. An amazing musician. And there's a chance he may have cancer. I hate it. I hate that there are truly awful human beings in this world who never have to deal with something like Bret is dealing with. It makes me want to scream.

So. I'm going to have to take comfort in the fact that God is going to take care of Bret and the rest of my family. But it doesn't mean I have to like it. Not even a little.... Does it mean I'm not going to pray? Of course not. It means I'm going to pray more...and for those of you who read this, I'm enlisting your prayers as well.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I do not have immediate family members affected by cancer, I have raised money and run a half marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and the meetings always leave me in tears because the people - especially the kids dealing with this disease are the last people one would think was deserving of such a fate, but it reminds me of a quote - the origin of which I am uncertain, "God doesn't give us anything we can't handle." Maybe that's why so many amazing people whose lights seem to burn so much brighter than the general public burn out faster. They are better equipped to handle the situation then we could ever know, right down to the level of their soul. Does it make it seem fair? Of course not. But, I have never seen anything to make me believe anything other than this: There are no accidents. We can all attest to this with personal experience at some point in our life.

    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a time of our choosing."

    My prayers are with you and Bret!

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my brother, Ryan's dad, disputing the inane claim that "God doesn't give us anything that we can't handle." He pointed to suicides as a prime counterexample. You don't know us, so please don't make any assumptions about our lights or equipment for misery. Until you have a child with cancer, you might keep your pious observations to yourself.

    ReplyDelete